Need to find your ‘home sweet home’ for your next travel nurse assignment? When traveling and exploring the U.S.A., you’ll typically receive a stipend to cover your stay. However, with so many housing and rental options for travel nurses, where do you begin?
With careful consideration, you can find the perfect home away from home to make your next 13 weeks a breeze. So, let’s help narrow your search with the best housing websites and options for travel nurses.
What to Consider: Finding the Best Housing for Travel Nurses
Before beginning your search for short-term housing, it’s important to consider a few key factors first:
Calculate Your Budget.
Don’t forget to calculate other fees or deposits that may be required on top of your base rent.
Location, Location, Location!
When finding housing for travel nurses, be sure to consider…
- How far the rental is from your assignment
- Access to public transportation
- Safety of the area
- Proximity to popular attractions
- Whether you want to live in a quiet, suburban area or in the lively city
Factor in Furnishings.
As a travel nurse, chose the type of housing that’s right for you. Decide if you prefer a fully furnished apartment or are comfortable bringing your belongings. While furnished options may be more expensive, it saves you the cost (and headache) of temporarily hauling your stuff across the country. Need tips for packing as a travel nurse? Read more here!
Be Wary of Scams.
Unfortunately, there are scams out there that target not only false job postings but housing options for travel nurses too. Be sure to carefully research any rental properties and landlords before committing.
Top Websites to Find Housing & Rentals for Travel Nurses
One of the benefits of finding your own housing is that you have options. With countless short-term rental platforms out there, you have plenty of great options to choose from.
To help, we’ve researched and curated a list of the top resources for short-term furnished rental websites for travel nurses:
1. Furnished Finder
It’s no accident we listed this one first. Furnished Finder is a popular website specifically designed to help travel nurses and other healthcare professionals find monthly furnished rentals. Find your perfect fit with over 150,000 rental options to choose from.
Types of Rentals for Travel Nurses on Furnished Finder
- Apartments, Condos, Townhomes
- Hotel Rooms
Pros & Cons of Furnished Finder for Travel Nurses
- All properties are furnished.
- Pay rent by the month.
- No commissions or booking fees.
- Website features a Travel Nurse Stipend Calculator to help estimate costs.
- Most properties are close to nearby hospitals.
- The platform doesn’t process payments. You’ll have to pay the host directly.
- Platform doesn’t verify listing accuracy.
Airbnb is more than a vacation rental platform. In fact, it’s one of the most popular places to find a range of great short-term rentals and housing for travel nurses.
Some hosts offer discounts for longer stays. Make sure you’re marking the dates correctly to get an accurate pricing estimate.
Types of Rentals for Travel Nurses on Airbnb
- Apartments, Condos, Townhomes
- Private Single Rooms
- Shared Spaces
Pros & Cons of Airbnb for Travel Nurses
- Variety of rental property types.
- Millions of listings available in cities throughout the country.
- Some hosts offer discounts on stays longer than 28 days.
- Enjoy any furnishings you’d find in a vacation rental.
- Booking and additional fees can add up quickly.
- It’s not monthly or weekly; you have to pay for the entire rent upfront.
- Some hosts don’t allow monthly stays. Reach out and verify their availability before booking.
Similar to Airbnb, VRBO offers short-term rentals all over the country. The website is user-friendly, safety-oriented, and offers multiple search filters, making it a great choice for travel nurse housing.
Types of Rentals for Travel Nurses on VRBO
- Apartments, Condos, Townhomes
Pros & Cons of VRBO for Travel Nurses
- Wide range of listing options.
- 24/7 customer support.
- Partial payment plan options available.
- Fully furnished with vacation rental amenities.
- Costly additional fees.
- Photos and descriptions can be misleading.
4. Extended Stay America
Want to live the ‘suite’ life? Extended Stay America offers hotel suites and studios with a kitchenette and other amenities. The company has locations all over the country, and the rooms are specifically designed for travel nurses and professionals seeking extended-stay housing.
Types of Rentals for Travel Nurses on Extended Stay America
- Hotel Rooms & Studios
Pros & Cons of Extended Stay America for Travel Nurses
- All locations are pet-friendly.
- 10% discount for healthcare professionals.
- Potential benefits offered with monthly stays.
- Enjoy hotel benefits (housekeeping, amenities, continental breakfast, etc.)
- Less private than a traditional home or apartment.
- Not available in Hawaii, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, West Virginia, and Wyoming.
ShortTermHousing.com offers monthly rentals for temporary and corporate housing. They help find furnished apartments for you: Submit a request, they’ll send you options that fit your needs and budget, and they’ll set up the lease for you. As a result, this makes it one of the easiest housing options for travel nurses.
Types of Rentals for Travel Nurses on ShortTermHousing.com
Pros & Cons of ShortTermHousing.com for Travel Nurses
- Personalized for your needs.
- Done for you.
- Utilities and furniture included.
- Most properties are close to medical centers.
- Can’t browse the listings yourself.
- Some options can be pricey.
Love scrolling on Zillow? HotPads is an extension of the app. It’s like Zillow but for rentals. It has a similar format but allows you to search for apartments, houses, and condos in the area.
Types of Rentals for Travel Nurses on HotPads
- Apartments, Condo, Townhomes
Pros & Cons of HotPads for Travel Nurses
- User-friendly with great search filter options.
- Simple process with plenty of helpful property information.
- “Furnished” search filter option available.
- All properties aren’t short-term and/or furnished.
- Reaching out to landlords on the app isn’t always easy.
- Known for having some scams.
Of course, the options don’t stop at these 6 travel nurse housing options. More popular sites for rentals for traveling nurses include:
Explore the Best Travel Nurse Assignments
Now that you’ve explored six of the best travel nurse housing options, you’re ready for your next assignment! Whether you’re looking to become a travel nurse, exploring your next travel adventure, or in need of the help of a dedicated recruiter, our team at CareerStaff is ready to help.
Quick Apply to connect with your personal travel nursing recruiter today, or explore available travel jobs nationwide!